IDIOMA: ITALIANO SUBTITULOS: INGLES
A CELEBRATION OF YOUTH, FRIENDSHIP, AND THE EVERLASTING MAGIC OF THE MOVIES A winner of awards across the world including Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, 5 BAFTA Awards including Best Actor, Original Screenplay and Score, the Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival and many more. Giuseppe Tornatore’s loving homage to the cinema tells the story of Salvatore, a successful film director, returning home for the funeral of Alfredo, his old friend who was the projectionist at the local cinema throughout his childhood. Soon memories of his first love affair with the beautiful Elena and all the highs and lows that shaped his life come flooding back, as Salvatore reconnects with the community he left 30 years earlier. The original award-winning theatrical version of Tornatore’s classic is presented here for the first time on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray. This edition also includes the expanded Director’s Cut, which delves deeper into Salvatore’s backstory [Blu-ray].
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of the 124 minute theatrical version
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the 174 minute Director’s Cut
- Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound options
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
- A Dream of Sicily – 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore with interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies and interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by Ennio Morricone
- A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise – A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
- The Kissing Sequence – Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
- Original Director’s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer
The technical improvements of the Arrow release are substantial and the supplementary material is outstanding. Plus, both versions of the film are presented, and they’re each manifestly different viewing experiences. I have been head over heels in love with Cinema Paradiso since I first saw it at an art house theatrical screening decades ago, and I fell in love with it (in both versions) all over again watching this excellent new release from Arrow. Highly recommended.
Cinema Paradiso will always bring a tear to the eye and put a lump in the throat, but during a global pandemic that has shuttered theaters and isolated movie fans, writer-director Giuseppe Tornatore’s film resonates more strongly than ever. Arrow Academy’s 4K UHD rendering of the theatrical cut (culled from a new 4K restoration) eclipses all other home video versions and instantly becomes the definitive edition of this romantic, nostalgic, and blissfully melancholic classic. Though the audio and extras remain the same, the allure of seeing this Oscar-winning film in Dolby Vision/HDR10 should be enough to merit an upgrade for fans of this enduring foreign film. Highly Recommended.
—High Def Digest